Monday, February 6, 2012

Tree Mural w/ Birds and Owls!

As the Black Eyed Peas said, "Let's Get It Started." I have absolutely no idea how to do this blog thing, but I recently had my first child, Harper, and during the nesting stage of pregnancy I became a sort of "mad woman" to DIY projects. A lot of them were inspired by projects that I saw on Pinterest and it encouraged me to share with others. Most of my attention has been focused on my little girl's room. Here's how it took shape.

From the time I found out that I was pregnant, I started browsing through my Pottery Barn Kids catalogues. I completely fell in love with the Brooke Bedding collection. At the time I did not realize how popular owls were. I probably wouldn't have picked it had I known, but my mother purchased it and I then started compiling my creations to center around that.

 We inherited a shotgun home from Cory's sweet grandmother that was built around the 40's; so, I wanted to keep her room playful but still have an antique-ish feel to it. I spotted a wall decal on Pinterest-- I'm sorry I don't have the link-- and wanted to purchase it but daddy said, "NO". He was afraid that it would pull the sheetrock off if we ever decided to remove it. So I told him I'd paint it. He said, "you don't know how to paint!" My reply was, "WATCH ME!"

I'm stubborn in nature and LOVE a good challenge. It took me several steps but here is my journey....

I first outlined the empty space with painter's tape. I thought it'd be cute to put our initials, but when Cory got home he reminded me that it was Harper's room, not ours! lol So I made a few changes, painted the trunk, let it dry--I'm not patient--, and removed my tape!


Then, I eyeballed the branches, let dry, added my blooms, little birds to match the birds on the bedding, and then added some owls that matched some decals I bought from Target!

Here's the finished product. 
Cory ate his words!

XOXO, Natalie




No comments:

Post a Comment